What’s is up, Fashion Friends? I am here this week to have a tough talk about shopping. Are you shopping forward? Well, don’t you dare let us catch you shopping backward, or Holly swears she will track you down and set you straight with her formula to “Stop Making These Common Fashion Mistakes!”
Recently while working with some of her OG styling clients, Holly noticed some common issues that were causing them to be either stressed out or unsure about what to wear.
The common problem? SHOPPING!
How can shopping be problematic, you ask? Isn’t retail therapy a thing? Well, if you are buying crap you don’t need, or stuff that doesn’t fit you well or praying you will suddenly lose a shoe size in order to shove your foot in those sale shoes, that’s a no from me, dog.
But, not to worry! Holly is here with her Fashion Formula: Shopping Forward vs. Shopping Backward.
What is Shopping Forward? Well, the definition according to Holly is knowledge and planning.
- You know what your specific body type.
- You know what looks good on your good parts, and how to hide your unfavorite parts.
- Your style has evolved with your age, so you know you cannot wear the things you wore 20 years ago. Or even 10 years ago.
- You know you do not need snow boots in Miami. #facts
- You walk into a store and know exactly what you are looking for and are not distracted by all of the retail and marketing gimmicks and obstacles placed in your way, intended to derail you.
We are 100% happy for you if you’ve got this part of the formula down!
But to be honest, most of us do not. Most are shopping backward, and it will wreak havoc on your style, your confidence and frankly, your ability to get dressed most days.
Shopping Backward is when you:
- Buy things on an impulse – anywhere – in line at the check-out, on line on social media, walking through the airport. This is shit you do not need. Ever.
- Buy things just because they are on sale. You do not need a cartload of shoes from the Nordstrom Yearly Half-Off sale, or BOGO sales at the discount stores. Stuff that sits in your closet with the tags still on it is not fashion. It’s not your style. And, if you hire a personal stylist like Holly Katz, she is just going to make you give it away when she cleans out your closet. #facts
- Buying sizes that do not fit you. You are not going to lose 20 pounds by Christmas. Your feet do not change size. If you buy a size up or a size down and think you will ever wear that crap, Holly is here to say: You Never Will.
- You buy something because it’s your favorite color. The price is right. But you have no clue if the fit is right for you. You never wear it. It sits in your closet with tags until Holly makes you get rid of it and you get mad at her. See the trend?
Are you doing the math yet? Repeat after Holly:
“If you are buying something you do not need just because it’s on sale, it’s not a good deal.”
Remember, you are in the driver’s seat with your style. Do not let trends and or fast fashion dictate what you wear. Because in the end, you will never wear it.
In other news: we have a big shopping season coming up. It’s a lot of pressure to buy things for the holidays. So if you are shopping for yourself, make sure you know what you’re looking for.
Holiday Shopping Sanity Tip:
If you don’t know what you’re looking for, then get some inspo online before you shop. Go on department store websites, denim websites, shoe websites. They all tell you what’s new, what’s trending, what’s hot. And then you can filter for your size, your style, etc.
Speaking of holidays, Hanukkah is coming up super early this year, and Holly will be doing a fabulous Hanukkah giveaway with some amazing indie designers on her social media.
We love supporting women-owned small businesses, so make sure you stay tuned for that.
Next week we’re going to be talking about “How to Shop for Your Body Type.” You’re welcome! We’ve got your back! I’m your best friend in fashion!
– The Fashion Crimes Podcast
with Holly Katz, your favorite personal stylist, and let’s be honest, the only Holly you need to know you know.
Fashion Crimes Podcast
The Best Friend in Fashion You Never Knew You Needed
New Episodes Every Friday
Holly Katz Styling
#FashionCrimesPodcast #FashionStyle #hollykatzstyling #personalstylist #shopping #howtoshop #fashionpodcast #fashioncrimes #podcastersofinstagram #podcast #stylist #womenwhopodcast #womensupportingwomen #whattowear #hownottolooklikeshit #stylecoach #styletherapy #style #styleinspo #hotmessfixer #holidayshopping #holidaystyles #TJMaxx #RossDressForLess #fashionmistakes #retailtherapy #styletherapy #fallfashion