Today, we are delighted to be joined by hip-hop celebrity stylist Kris Shelby. Kris dives deep into his story and explains how a chance meeting with Tyler Perry changed his entire life trajectory. Plus, Kris reveals the number one song that boosted his career and set the tone for his fashion journey. Later, we talk all about how well streetwear mixes with luxury designers. We are all ready for these new up and coming designers who can seamlessly integrate these two worlds! Tune in as we talk about the importance of staying with your niche, branding, and Kris’s future in the fashion industry and styling world.
In This Episode:
- [02:40] All about Kris Shelby.
- [08:10] How Kris started his fashion career.
- [12:30] When Kris met Tyler Perry, his life has never been the same.
- [18:25] The famous artists that made Kris big. He reveals the number one song that jumpstarted his career.
- [27:15] Kris gives his thoughts on streetwear mixed with luxury designers.
- [35:30] Which fashion crimes that Kris cannot unsee.
- [40:45] The future for Kris Shelby.
- Good people are rare. When you find a good friend, don’t let them go!
- In the hip-hop world, it’s all about gaining trust. Once you have earned these artists’ trust, they tell everybody about you.
- Once you find your niche for your career, stay in that niche; don’t try and do too much or too many things at once.
- People are open to new designers more than ever; we need new upcoming designers ready to take over the game.
Kris continues to develop and express his artistic inspiration and true eye for fashion. His relocation from New Orleans in 2005 post hurricane Katrina emphasized his desire for a change of pace and catapulted his fashion career in the “dirty south”.
Within a year after permanently relocating to Atlanta, he met Tyler Perry and was asked to begin wardrobing at Tyler Perry Studios, where he began to consistently meet individuals like TI, Cam’ron and Jeezy with whom he began styling shortly after. With a unique personal style and aesthetic, Kris has built his client base by working with celebrities such as the Migos, styling the ‘Bad and Bougie’ music video and is currently working with the artist behind Think It’s a Game Record Label, YFN Lucci, Young Jeezy, SB Skooly, Adkunle Gold in addition to many others.